Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Nugman's thoughts for today

It's been a pretty exciting day for the Nugman, in that I just woke up and it's a little past noon eastern standard time. I rolled off my mother's pull out couch, took my morning deuce, and made my way to the kitchen for my bowl of cheerios. Normally at this point, I wouldn't even need milk in my bowl, as I just fill it with tears over the patheticness of my life. But today is different, why? It's october. It's Yanks playoffs starting tonight. It's Giants looking to move 5-0 this weekend. And It's the Rangers starting a new season with the hope that this one will end with Lord Stanley's cup making it down the canyon of heroes, on its way to Doobie's apartment where it will at some point be filled to the brim with jaegermeister. Doobie lying passed out in his own vomit on the floor with a t-shirt that says "Man Child", and a few of his buddies from high school standing around debating whether or not they should call the police.

These are the thoughts that bring me hope, and keep me from the abyss.

As for some hockey:

Don't know if any of you caught the game between the Flyers and Capitals last night on versus? (With one of the better playoff type baseball games going on on TBS, it was one of the all-time quality "Not only are these games great, but I have absolutely NO vested interest, so I can really enjoy them and not worry about sh*ting myself" nights in sports watching. The twins pulled out their game, but of greater interest to the Rangers was probably the Caps-Flyers)

A very intense, very physical game...that was also high scoring? It's a combination rarely seen in sports, especially hockey. Physical play doesn't lead to high scores. It leads to lost teeth, fights, and french-canadian degenerates screaming drunkenly in the stands about doing vicious things to each other's mothers. The flyers pulled the game out, at home, in OT, 6-5. Mike Richards continued his hot start, towards a Nugman predicted MVP award, with a hat trick. And then there was Ovechkin...who is just a monster, and is getting better it seems every game. (And I am not talking about Joe Michelleti "Marc Staal getting better", the type where the player actually doesn't improve at all, and nothing about their game would indicate a large step forward offensively) I am talking about, the guy was already the best in the league, and now looks like it is just not fair for him to even be in the league. He now has 3+ points in EVERY GAME for his team this season. Which means thursday night, if the Rangers hold Ovechkin to TWO GOALS...they have done a better job of shutting him down then any other team so far. In other words, Hank and the boys are going to have their hands full with a Caps team that is averaging more than 5 goals a game!

That said, my prediction? Rangers win 10-0.

As for the Drury saga that Dave Pucks alludes to (see post below). My take on it is different. Admittedly I have not watched as much pre-season Rangers, or any, for the exact reason that I don't watch spring training yankees, or pre-season giants...there are a lot better things I could be doing, like cutting my nails and watching them grow back. What I have seen in the season so far leads me to believe that torts thinks of Drury as nothing more than a leader he doesn't have to coddle. The fact that he sends him out for a 5 on 3 shows the respect he has for Drury's game. Most of the time when Torts talks about players, like Doobie, it is to say what they have to work on (and in Doobie's case, it's a lot, like being sober for example). The fact that Drury doesn't get mentioned as much here leads me to believe Torts likes his game, doesn't think much needs to be worked on, and also doesn't think Drury is some little girl that he needs to comfort 24/7 to reassure him of his place. Now Drury's PP time has been limited, but I don't see this becoming a growing trend. I just see torts trying to feel out his new guys, and see what they are capable of giving him on the power play. Bottom line is Drury was on the top line for the power play for 2 seasons, and the Rangers power play has been terrible. (The main reason for this has been horrendous play from the blue line, but still, Torts wants to feel out new combos, and I am fine with that. The power play has looked "better", though the results are only just starting to show)

Check back with me on the Drury saga in a week or two, for the time being, I will just assume Torts is a man with little to no love in his heart, who is incapable of feeling anything but the burning desire to win at all costs, and doesn't care about whose emotions he needs to craddle, or who he verbally has to fluff along the way.

Reminder: Nugman will be back thursday evening for in game Rangers blogging against the Caps. It's the most descriptive, accurate, and sexually charged Rangers in game blogging on the internet. While spelling is lacking, the emotion more than makes up for it.

3 comments:

  1. I'd like to thank the Rangers fan that picked them to win the cup. Out of 21, myself included, you are the first.

    You give me strength when I am weak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. drafted mike richards on my fantasy team, looks pretty nasty already and on his way to a career year - 50 goals this season anyone? - hopefully none of them against the Rangers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Will. Good pick there on Richards. The guy has 5 goals in 3 games - and that's 5 goals on just 13 shots! Ovechkin has 5 goals - but it took him 19 shots to do it. Richards is cashing in on more than a third of his shots so far. Thanks for the comment - welcome aboard - and keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete