Sunday, January 1, 2012

Rangers beat Panthers – but Lose their Soul

Okay – so the Rangers bounced back and beat the Panthers 4-1, but I don't want to talk about that today.

I want to talk about Sean.

There were goals by Carl (speedy rookie) Hagelin, Brad (finally bouncing back from a slump) Richards, Michael (plus-minus superstar) Del Zotto and Brandon (finally waking up) Dubinsky. But I don't want to talk about that today.

I want to talk about Sean Avery.

There were assists by McDonagh (2!), Callahan, Woywitka, Richards, and Hagelin. But I don't want to talk about that today.

I want to talk about Seanny

There were 5 hits by Girardi, and 4 each for Bickel, Boyle, and Fedotenko. But that's not what I want to blog about.

I want to talk about Aves.

There was a masterful performance by Henrik Lundqvist, with 28 saves and a .964 save percentage – but I don't want to talk about goalies today.

I just want to talk about my favorite player.

Look – I like John Tortorella. I think he's a good coach and has brought a real sense of work ethic and accountability to this ranger team. But I have to say – cutting Sean like this – a week after Christmas – and hiding it on a Friday morning before New Years – where he knows they'll be less questions from the press – well, it's cowardly. It's mean. And it's a classless way to treat a player that lived, breathed and bled for the New York Rangers.

This is clearly a personal not a personnel decision. The coach hates the player – event though then player can clearly still play.

Bad job Torts. Bad job Glen.

So, Avery has since cleared wavers and will return to the Hartford Whale. And I will be in the uncomfortable position of not knowing whether to root for or against my favorite hockey team.

There will never be another Sean Avery – and even if we win the cup this year – without my favorite hockey player there to hoist it – it will not feel the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment