Friday, June 26, 2009

Off Topic

You know - I don't ever like to go off topic here - but the entire world seems to be focused on one story today - not the NHL draft - not the violent government repression in Iran - but rather: the accidental death of a formerly popular singer-dancer named Michael Jackson.

I can see how the entertainment media - like the E channel - would be all over this story. But why is a cable news channel like MSNBC devoting round the clock coverage to what they call "a developing story"? A developing story? Forgive me, but the man died yesterday and he's still dead today - so not much development to the story.

On MSNBC this morning - a reporter was talking about how amazing it was that Micheal Jackson and Michael Jordon were both huge popular icons at the same time and both had the initials MJ.
.
What? This is a professional news network observation? We're tuning in to hear this?
.
And again - forgive me of speaking ill of the dead - but professionally I thought he peaked at age 11. And with his alleged mis-appropriate behavior with children - his public drug addictions - his attempted facial reconstruction and skin lightening - and emphasis of dance over music - I found him to be a terrible role model and someone not worth the public adulation he receives in both life and death. I'm not making light of his demise - I realize he was a real person with family and friends - but I don't understand the wall-to-wall media coverage.

But enough - with this post I am now officially part of the problem.

To get back on track:

Today in Montreal is the NHL draft. And we've heard two rumors:

Rumor 1 - That the Rangers are shopping to unload two overpaid players. I'm sure you can guess which ones:

Wade Redden? In the words of the late Ed McMahon: You are correct, sir.

Scott Gomez? Once again, yes. No surprises there - and actually some relief on my part that Glen Sather sees what we see. That's good news.

Rumor 2 - The Rangers are trying to get in the hunt for Dany Heatly with Ottawa.

That's all we have for now. Back later.

No comments:

Post a Comment